Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Oh, speaking of recipes

Remember when I told you all that the lives of men as they grow up are punctuated by encounters with other men who teach them how to do manyly things? Well our fathers are chief among those. I've described my dad before as a real-life Burt Reynolds, both the happy go lucky Hooper Burt Reynolds and the scary manly Deliverance Burt Reynolds.

Well one of the things my dad taught me was to fish (actually, at various times my dad, my step dad, and my grandfather all taught me to fish. Fishing is an ongoing learning process). When my dad came to visit last month I took him fishing. It was great. We went out on a party boat out of Sheepshead Bay for Fluke. (I blogged about this on my livejournal, but it deserves mention here). Nobody ont he boat caught a keeper fluke, but we did pull in a few other thigns, like sea robins. One thing we pulled up were muscles. Well my dad after awhile took one of those muscles and put it ont he end of the hook and BANG! he hooked a really nice bluefish, probably the biggest fish of the day. I did the same thing with a muscle I pulled up and BANG! I pulled in a nice sea bass. We took them home and dad cooked them. He's really good at that.This is what he taught me:

DAD'S PAN FIRED FISH
Two cloves fresh garlic
1/8 cup unsalted butter
four fresh fish fliets
half cup flour (optional)
One cup red wine (optional)

*If you wnat to bread the fish do so, but it doeasn't need it
*Crush the garlic
*Melt the butter with the garlic in a frying pan over medium heat
*Place the fish in the pan and sear one side
*Turn and add the wine (this is my addition--dad didn't do this the day we went fishing) IT WILL FLAME
*When the fish is seared on both sides, serve

GREENS
*Buy some fresh greens: collard greens, spinich, turnip, chard, anything.
*Also get fresh mushooms, red bell peppers, white onion
*In a frying pan coock 1/4 pound of bacon. Do not drain. Break the bacon up
*To the grease in the frying pan add the greens, sliced mushrooms, bell pepper and red onion. Saute until greens are soft but not too limp. Serve forth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home